Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Rapture-kinda intimidating, huh?

So if you've ever met me, you know I love my sleep. "Late" to me on a weekday, is about 11:30, when a normal college kid would just start their homework(partying?) I'm getting ready for bed!
"Late" one night last week, I got a text from a friend. This is a girl I have known my whole life, and every once in a while we text each other a random question. This time her question was, "What are your thoughts on the rapture?" This woke me up. First, since it was 12:15 I had to gather my thoughts...I had already been asleep for an hour probably, and my mind was completely blank. For the life of me I couldn't think of what "rapture" meant. So I googled it on my phone and then it all came back to me. 'Of course! The second coming of Christ!' My next step was to answer her question, which was pretty difficult. Growing up the second coming was never taught in PSR or spoken about in Young Life talks, so I never really developed an opinion/dedicated much time to the topic. So I did some research, exchanged ideas with her, and am now am fascinated with this idea.
I know this sounds like I'm going on a tangent, but bare with me, it will all make sense. I love my new job. I am the card swiper here at Arkansas' fitness center so I get to see a ton of people, hopefully brighten up their day a little bit. I also love my job for the fact that I have a lot of time to read during down times. Last week, I brought my Bible with me and conducted my research on the topic there. (See, there was a reason for the tangent!) Anyway, I came across the book of Matthew. Specifically, Matthew 24. As I was reading this passage a couple parts of it stuck out. The first, verse 27, "For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man." Love it. Earlier in the passage it speaks of people that will try and fool believers into thinking Christ has already come, or that they themselves are Christ. Matt 24:27 reassures believers like me that it will be evident when He returns. Just as we can see lightning with our eyes, we will know in our hearts that Christ has come, we won't have to rely on others to tell us.
Another part of Matt. 24 that I really love is Matthew 24:43, "But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into." Such a simple message. If we were to know when Christ was going to return we would tidy up our souls, look to fix any of our mistakes, simply: try and save our asses. Which is why the Lord doesn't tell us. We should be living Christ-like no matter what. If He were to come tonight, would my soul be ready? Would I be in a place proud to be found in? Just a thought...
The rapture...kinda scary sounding for such a wonderful thought! Think, for our souls to live endlessly with Christ. Isn't that what we Christians aim for anyway when we die? It shouldn't be this terrifying word, thought, or lesson. The second coming of Christ should be celebrated in anticipation for its occurrence. We should be ready at any moment to depart from our worldly behaviors and forever with those who believe in Him.

Those are most of my thoughts on the topic for now, maybe I'll have some more after I work tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment